Swiss Enchiladas (1952)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 17 17:04:38 UTC 2003

   NYU and Columbia libraries are now on Spring Break.  I forgot that and
went up to Columbia, only to find it closed on Sunday.  I then walked back
home, checking out the cheese selection at Fairway ("Like No Other Markey")
on Broadway and West 74th Street..
   I was going to go to the Library of Congress in DC today, but maybe next
week.

ETORKI--Cheese seen at Fairway and my local D'Agostino supermarket.  Not in
OED.

OT: DAVID SHULMAN--We know him and love him, but enough's enough.  He told me
that he walked into Oxford's Madison Avenue offices to drop off slips, saw
Erin McKean's book on "weird words" in the lobby, and took it...He ordered me
yesterday to his Senior Citizen Center for a St. Patrick's Day party.  He
then showed me to everyone, said that I've traveled to over 80 countries, and
announced to everyone, especially management, that I have "millions of
dollars."  Everyone in his St. Nicholas Home is now expecting a check for a
million dollars.  This is going to come out of my LIFETIME earnings of below
two thousand dollars.  I gave a check and a medal to the attendant who saved
his life, and he's talking about his "Bowery Boys" association and meetings
and publicity and all...  I like to help out ADS members, but there has to be
limits.

SWISS ENCHILADAS--An earlier cite for this cheese dish:

ELENA'S FIESTA RECIPES
by Elena Zelayeta
Los Angeles: The Ward Ritchie Press
1952

Pg. 75:
SWISS ENCHILADAS
Enchiladas Suizas
   Mexicans associate the use of cream with a dairy country--hence the name
of Swiss for these enchiladas.  Both these and the rolled green enchiladas
may be frozen successfully by wrapping tightly in corn husks.
1 dozen tortillas
Oil for frying
6 chicken bouillon cubes
3 cups sweet cream, warmed
1/2 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
CHICKEN FILLING
2 tbs. oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 mashed clove of garlic
2 cups tomato puree
2 chopped green chiles (or to taste)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
Salt to taste
   Fry the tortillas in about 1 inch of hot oil, being careful not to let
them get crisp, as they must be rolled.  Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot cream
and dip each tortilla in the mixture.  Cover generously with the chicken
filling, roll up, place seam side down in a baking pan, pour remaining cream
mixture over all.  Top with the cheese, add remaining cream, dip, and bake in
a moderate oven for about 30 minutes.  THe chicken filling is made this way:
Fry the onion in the hot oil until soft, add all other ingredients, and
simmer about 10 minutes.  Slices of avocado, or hard-cooked eggs, radishes,
green or ripe olives--all are attractive garnishes for enchiladas.
   These mild-mannered and delectable enchiladas should serve to refute a
theory too commonly subscribed to, that all Mexican food is somewhat hotter
than you know what.  As a matter of record, while visiting Mexico some years
ago, we learned from restaurant menus that if we wanted our enchiladas extra
hot, we should ask for "Texas style."