Dump Cake (1912); Duck Soup (1903)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 12 08:36:22 UTC 2003

DUMP CAKE

   I had posted a 1974 "dump cake" that I ran across (I don't see it that often), not realizing that DARE has a 1965 "dump cake."  That DARE File citation is from Maine.
   The CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR blows us all away by half a century!

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
  And on the Inside . . .; The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973), Washington, D.C.; Oct 11, 1973; pg. E1, 1 pgs

  Anne's Reader Exchange; The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973), Washington, D.C.; Oct 11, 1973; pg. E2, 1 pgs

  Anne's Reader Exchange: Source Located; The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973), Washington, D.C.; Sep 13, 1973; pg. F3, 1 pgs

  TRIED RECIPES; DUMP CAKE; Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file), Boston, Mass.; Jan 31, 1912; pg. 6, 1 pgs:
      DUMP CAKE
   DUMP into a dish all together the following articles: One cup butter, two cups sugar, three eggs, four cups flour, one pound chopped raisins, one teaspoon soda in a cup of cold water, two teaspoons cream tartar.  Any spice you choose.  Mix well.  Bake in two deep pans.

DUCK SOUP

   Leonard Zwilling found "duck soup" in a TAD cartoon of 1902.  This is 1903.  "Duck soup" was used frequently in baseball stories (pre-Marx Brothers).  There's a good chance that the Chicago Tribune's sports section will do better.

  WALSH ANNEXED MOST SHUT- OUT GAMESLAST SEASON; Walter Johnson Figured in Many Whitewashes, but in Most Instances He Got the Worst End of It -- Interesting Statistics on Work Done by American League Twirlers.; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Jan 17, 1910; pg. 8, 1 pgs
("Washington was the real 'duck soup' for the Sox, losing seven games to them,...")

  BASEBALL GOSSIP.; Season of Threatened Disruption Has Passed and Quiet Reigns Among the Magnates.; The Washington Post (1877-1954), Washington, D.C.; Dec 27, 1903; pg. E11, 1 pgs
("'Duck soup is what you are for me,' sang Shreve as White missed the first ball by several inches.  'Oh how easy,' was the next rejoinder...")