Linguistics research

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Wed Dec 1 17:46:43 UTC 2004

At 12:06 PM 12/1/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>As a further complication, I don't find the journal "Journal of Language
>and Linguistics" in either RLIN or OCLC.  Both want to foist off on me a
>journal that's primarily in Thai and has a somewhat different title.  So
>perhaps I am being too stern to blame the MLA & the others for not listing
>the Miyamoto aticle, but the basic question remains: when you folks have
>to research a problem in linguistics, what general linguistics database do
>you find most serviceable.
>
>GAT
>
>George A. Thompson
>Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern
>Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

LLBA--only and ever.  It lists books, articles, book chapters, and
abstracts, in all the subfields, as far as I know.
I couldn't find the journal title you named though; are you sure it's the
exact title?  Two books titled _Language-induced language change_ are
listed, one by Sarah Thomason, on pidgins and creoles, and the other a more
general one by a Finnish author (can't recall the name).

Miyamoto used to teach in our dept., so I should be able to track down his
article if you need it.  However, I can't recall the title you wanted; can
you send it again?

Tell your student to check LLBA first; I spend 2-3 hours in the first
quarter of our grad program just teaching new students how to use it!