"New York Rangers" naming mystery (1926)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Dec 1 23:22:24 UTC 2004

        That seems kind of late.  The Wall Street Journal began an article on 2/21/1986 with "Munching popcorn and drinking beer on a recent return flight from China, Vice President George Bush muses on the changes in the People's Republic since he was envoy there in the 1970s. If a Chinese official back then had shown Americans the friendly familiarity displayed on this trip, he says, "he would have been in deep doo-doo." "   That article may have been the original use.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Grant Barrett
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 6:15 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "New York Rangers" naming mystery (1926)

Flattery! I don't require that kind of overt manipulation to help out.

The first cite is the same one as in HDAS:

1989 CBS This Morning CBS-TV (Jan. 17): Real Texans do not describe
trouble as “deep doodoo.”

If you can find the transcript of the speech where Bush said it, you
can beat that citation by at least a day.

Grant