e-dress

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Thu Dec 2 17:19:29 UTC 2004

I had never come across *e-dress* for *e-mail address* before seeing it on this
list a couple of days ago.  It strikes me now that that's not really
surprising, given that I'm British and have lived for most of my life in
Britain, where *address* is pronounced [@'drEs].  It seems to me that the
substitution of the first vowel in the word to produce a novel item for *e-mail
address* only works if you stress the first syllable in the word ['aedrEs], as
many (at least) Americans do, since the first syllable in the parallel
['i:drEs] needs to be stressed to make the point.

FYI, at least when I last lived there (I moved to the States in August 2003),
the usual term for *e-mail address* was, well ... *e-mail address*, or, if you
wanted to be less clunky, simply *e-mail*.  Of course, you can use both those
terms in the US too.

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania