Orange Revolution; Baseball; Hip-Hop; Whores

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 3 03:08:39 UTC 2004

ORANGE REVOLUTION--I don't see this on the Double-Tongued Word Wrester just yet. There's a TIME "Orange Revolution" article this week. I prefer the "Velvet Revolution" myself. Or maybe "teal."

BASEBALL--I knew that Paul Dickson was preparing to update his Baseball Dictionary for 1999, so I posted a whole bunch of baseball stuff in 1996 through 1998. All of what I wrote in the old archives has been destroyed. Dickson, from what I'm told, is preparing a third edition. There's not much sense in me spending my limited free time researching the same databases. However, Ben Zimmer and Bill Mullins have done some good work.

HIP-HOP--This is difficult to date. Did "hip hop" begin with Bugs Bunny? The first person to say "hip hop"? The first lyrics of "hip hop" in a song? I've searched the usual databases and I've gone through other stuff (Amsterdam News) painfully by hand. It's clear that 1979's "Rapper's Delight" popularized the term "hip hop," and that it emerged in the New York Times in about 1983 as a music form. But maybe I'll add additional info to my entry.

WHORES--A Yahoo! check found this. It made me sick. How many years does it take for the New Yorker, New York, or Time Out New York to run a story? Twenty years?

Time Out New York [features]
... asked question "Why is New York City called the Big Apple?" has about as many answers as Ray's ... one Evelyn Claudine de Saint-Evremond, a courtier who'd fled France during ...
www.timeoutny.com/features/420/420.sleaze.offtrack.4.html - 35k - Cached - More from this site

http://www.timeoutny.com/features/420/420.sleaze.offtrack.4.html