yankee swap/chinese auction

Mon Dec 13 16:10:13 UTC 2004

A branch of my family has done this for maybe ten years or so; they
call it "rob your neighbor." However, the presents are NOT opened until
everyone has one and all forced trades have been made. This is what
keeps it interesting: gifts are disguised, some people know what's in
them, some people don't, some judge by weight, others by size, etc.,
etc.

In St. Croix, in the Virgins Islands, among the long-term but not local
white off-islanders they called this "pirate Christmas" (also dating
about ten years ago).

(I think we have discussed this on the list before.)

Grant Barrett