Number Crunching

Erik Hoover grinchy at GRINCHY.COM
Fri Dec 17 19:21:53 UTC 2004

It strikes me on reading this that there is a less-strained metaphor if
"crunching numbers" and "number-crunching" refer originally to the
mechanical calculators or "adding machines" that were once commonplace
in business.

The noise of such devices can be quite, ah, crunchy.

Any retired accountants in the house?

Erik