Burrata (Bon Appetit "ingredients of the year") (1982)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 19 02:24:10 UTC 2004

BURRATA--12,000 Google hits, 249 Google Groups hits

"Burrata" is not in the OED ("miserable on food"). They don't pay me...actually, they DON'T pay me.

>From BON APPETIT, January 2005 issue (WHAT'S HOT/ WHAT'S NOT/ WHAT'S NEXT), pg. 84 (Ingredients of the Year--What's Hot):

Burrata Cheese
with Shaved Vegetable Salad

As many chefs shift their focus to regions of Italy south of Rome, _burrata_, a fresh cow's milk cheese imported from Puglia, is showing up on more and more restaurant menus. Think of it as the most creamy, transcendent mozzarella you'll ever taste. _Burrata_ is cold at cheese shops and Italian markets.

(FACTIVA)
Italy Committee To Promote Murgia Burrata Cheese
131 words
ANSA - English Corporate News Service
English
(c) 2004 ANSA

(ANSA) - Bari, March 4 - A committee to promote Italian fresh cheese Burrata from Murgia area, in the southern Italian region of Apulia, has been set up on March 4, 2004.

The committee aims at establishing a consortium of local Burrata producers, to protect the quality of this traditional product, Apulia regional councillor for agriculture Nino Marmo said.

The Burrata from Murgia area has been granted the European Union (EU) Protected Geographical Indication (IGP) certificate.

(Editor's note:Burrata cheese is a specialty of southern Italy, especially the regions of Apulia, Campania, and Basilicata. Traditionally made from buffalo's milk, today most burrata is made from cow's milk. Its name derives from its buttery core)(ANSA)

(FACTIVA)
Oakland chef preserving ancient art of curing meats
By S. Irene Virbila - LOS ANGELES TIMES
3,055 words
The Oakland Tribune
English
(c) Copyright 2004 ANG Newspapers. All rights reserved.

TODAY, California cooks can get their hands on almost anything an Italian cook can, from pasta made with heirloom wheat to "bottarga" from Sardinia. Prosciutto di Parma is almost as common as honey-baked ham. We can buy "burrata" still dripping with whey and chestnut honey from Umbria. But there's one thing we still can't get: the exquisite cured meats that have me mesmerized whenever I walk into a "gastronomia" in Italy. I know of only one place in California where you can get that kind of authentic handcrafted "salumi" -- Oliveto restaurant in Oakland.

(PROQUEST NEWSPAPERS)
The Kiss of the Buffalo: A Mozzarella That Weeps Joy
Regina Schrambling. New York Times. (Late Edition (East Coast)). New York, N.Y.: Feb 21, 2001. pg. F.2:
Burrata is the Cracker Jack of cheese: it comes with a prize inside. A specialty of Salerno, Italy, it is made from a sheet of fresh buffalo mozzarella wrapped and tied like a beggar's purse around a creamy center of even softer mozzarella floating in cream. When it is served at the proper temperature, the little bundle oozes richness as you slice it open.

The name comes from the Italian for butter, and the center of the warm cheese is almost that unctuous. You can eat the whole thing sliced with tomatoes and basil and a little olive oil, or in chunks on crusty bread, or in slivers to contrast with tastes as disparate as the sweetness of ripe pears and the saltiness of prosciutto.

Burrata is highly perishable, so it is rarely tasted outside Italy. But the Midtown restaurant San Pietro is importing a version from Campania to serve and to sell at retail; it is at 18 East 54th Street, (212) 753-9015.

A 250-gram piece the size of a tennis ball costs $10 and is enough for two cheese lovers. If it is not quite the rich, devastatingly creamy wonder you can find fresh in Italy, this burrata does spare you the seven-hour plane ride. REGINA SCHRAMBLING

(PROQUEST HEWSPAPERS)
STYLE: Restaurants; On the Westside, a True Trattoria; [Home Edition]
S. IRENE VIRBILA. Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, Calif.: Feb 1, 1998. pg. 32:
Los Angeles must have enough Italian restaurants to feed the citizens of Rome or at least Palermo, enough that everybody here has a favorite neighborhood trattoria. And since I've eaten at more of them than most, I can say with a certain authority that Alto Palato stands out from the crowd.

Under young Roberto Perotti, 30, who has been chef since the restaurant opened in 1994 on the border of West Hollywood in the old Pazzia (and Fennel) space, this swank trattoria just keeps getting better.

As at trattorias in Italy, if you're a regular (and I am one), he'll cook you whatever you like. Owner Danilo Terribili or Gino Rindone, the genial manager, will quickly run through the list of the day's fresh ingredients and the possibilities. Perhaps a simple grilled sole with a little lemon? A bowl of stracciatella (egg-drop soup, Italian-style)? A plate of burrata (fresh mozzarella with an irresistibly creamy heart) seasoned with black peppercorns and a thread of deep green olive oil? Or, here's one, Terribili will say: "Have you ever had cacio e pepe?" It's a Roman specialty, spaghetti tossed with pecorino (salty sheep's milk cheese), lots of crushed black peppercorns and a little rendered guanciale, or cured pork jowl. Another strong-tasting, utterly captivating option is spaghetti ai ricci, with raw sea urchin, available only when a fish supplier from Santa Barbara makes his rounds.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Article 4 -- No Title
Marian Burros. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 1, 1982. p. C8 (1 page):
If your taste runs to simpler things, a rich, delicate creamy Burrata is being flown from Italy by Balducci's. A mixture of fresh mozzarella and ricotta, it is $5.00 a pound. Each cheese weighs about a pound and a quarter.