Mary Jane; Corker

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 30 17:49:13 UTC 2004

Greetings from my last lunch hour of the year.

MARY JANE--Marijuana. No big stretch there. What I added to the ADS-L archives is that a candy called "Mary Jane" was  also popular at this time in American history.

CORKER--
30 December 2004, NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, pg. 35, col. 3, "On the City" by Richard Schwartz:

What's a corker? Rest assured it has nothing to do with the champagne bottle you'll open tomorrow night. But corkers will be at work this New Year's Eve when thousands of cyclists are expected to bottle up traffic during their freewheeling Critical Mass ride through the streets of Manhattan.

Corkers, for the record, are the advance teams of cyclists who "cork" or block crosstown traffic so that Critical Massers can wheel the light fantastic up Park Ave., down Broadway or wherever their free spirits carry them.