technically correct subject-verb agreement

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Dec 30 23:05:17 UTC 2004

The singular, absolutely (except for the "there were drinks" model).  The
plural verb with a singular noun following sounds posh, literary,
phoney.  "There were kudos" works for me though, even if "kudos" is
technically singular.  Reanalyzed to plural for most, I suspect.