A children's punning/rhyming game

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 24 17:20:30 UTC 2004

Not unless the same actor voiced the frog character for Andy Devine's '50s show.

If it wasn't dubbed, the kid just had a weirdly deep voice.

Haven't found the rhyme in that particular Botkin book, but earlier refs have now been posted.

JL
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: A children's punning/rhyming game

On Jul 24, 2004, at 8:55 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Re: A children's punning/rhyming game
Brown shoes: "'Arf! Arf!' That's my dog Tige! He lives in a shoe! I'm
Buster Brown! Look for me in there, too!" - on radio of the same era?

The show was cancelled after Smilin Ed, thinking that he was off the
air, commented, "There. That oughta hold the little bastards for
another week."

> Am fairly certain there is a ref. to the rhyme in use among white
> children in Ben Botkin's "Treasury of American Folklore" (1944). Will
> check.

Thank you.

-Wilson Gray