Pupusas (1947)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 5 14:30:35 UTC 2004

    Just a brief post before I go to the New York Public Library to give
David Shulman some money (for the typist of his poems).  This is what I do when
I'm let out of a week of parking tickets.
    For laughs, go to the NYPL home page at www.nypl.org.  In the left column
is "The People's University" and "Tell your NYPL story."  If you say that you
met Gerald Cohen in the New York Public Library and you solved the Big Apple
here, you're a piece of garbage and no one listens to you.

PUPUSA

   I checked again for the CHICAGO TRIBUNE.  How did I miss the 1947 NEW YORK
TIMES cite?
   I'll tell you how.  I'd typed in "pupusa."  I didn't type in "pupusas."
ProQuest is supposed to search for both, but somehow it didn't here.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("pupusa")
    1.  Latinos Hold Heritage Day
By Betty Medsger Washington Post Staff Writer. The Washington Post, Times
Herald (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Jul 30, 1972. p. B3 (1 page)

    2.  Display Ad 216 -- No Title
The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Nov 21, 1976. p.
163 (1 page)

    3.  Gathering Friends & Family To Enjoy Pupusas
The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Jan 14, 1982. p.
E18 (1 page)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("pupusas")
    1.  LATIN-AMERICAN LOG: EL SALVADOR; Good Roads in a Small Country, Good
Food In Its Capital
By ARTHUR GOODFRIEND. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: May
11, 1947. p. X15 (1 page):
   La Cruzadilla, roadside rest venfing the best pupusas in town...Pupusas,
Salvadoran specialty tortillas, or corncakes, filled with cheese, beans, or
pork cracklings--or wonder of wonders, all three mixed--piping hot, at a penny a
piece.

    2.  Latinos Hold Heritage Day