Razorbicks

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 5 00:10:51 UTC 2004

In a message dated  Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:35:35 -0400, Sam Clements
<SClements at NEO.RR.COM> writes

>  Tell me you were watching Wheel of Fortune as a researcher, rather than
>  merely as enjoyment.

It is worth noting that, whereas there were enough political ads on _Wheel of
Fortune_ that I lost count, I recall only one such (the same Kerry ad as had
appeared three times on _Wheel_, the one with a picture of Bush leaning his
head to one side) during the telecast of the Eagles-Bears football game.

It appears that Bush and Kerry are in agreement on one thing:  there are a
lot more undecided voters (let's be complimentary and say "a lot more thinking
voters") watching _Wheel of Fortune_ than there are watching the NFL.

It's not just the Presidential candidates.  Senator Spector and his opponent,
a man named Hoeffl (probably misspelt), have reached the same conclusion and
place ads liberally (definitely not conservatively) on _Double Jeopardy_ and
_Wheel of Fortune_, which in Philadelphia appear back-to-back on Channel 6.
For some reason, we usually get ads from both during the same commercial break.

The ad I want to hear:  "A spectre is haunting Pennsylvania, the spectre of
Spector, and our only hope is the wizardry of Hoefflpoeff."

For Fred Shapiro's collection:  on tonight's _Double Jeopardy_ one of the
answers was the acronym "ESO" for "Equipment Smarter than Operator" (a saying I
had not heard before.)

      - James A. Landau