CYA

Sun Sep 12 19:32:17 UTC 2004

For those who haven't been following the news lately, 60 Minutes did a story
last Wednesday about President Bush's National Guard service, based on some
memos which they just obtained copies of.  There has been a huge firestorm
about the memos, with many bloggers building a case that they are forgeries,
and with CBS stating that they will "stand by" their story, but without
offering much in the way of validation.

One point that has been raised is that one of the memos, from 1973, uses the
acronym "CYA" (Cover Your Ass).  Whether or not a LtCol in the Air National
Guard would use this expression as the subject of a memo for record is one
thing; another is whether the acronym was in use at all at that time.  I've
known it for years, but not that far back (I was 11 years old then . . .).
I couldn't find it easily in any databases I have access to.

So, can anyone on this list establish its use back then?  I would be
surprised if the answer is "no", but I think the question is worth asking.

Thanks
Bill Mullins