Sweetheart deal (1944); Novelas

Fri Aug 26 17:21:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:23:42 -0400, bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>(OED has 1968 for "novela," but can't we do better?

JSTOR has a cite for the radio variety of "novela" from 1955.

-----
"Central American Radio" by Marvin Alisky
Quarterly of Film Radio and Television, 10(1) (Autumn 1955), pp. 61-2
In Nicaragua and Honduras, as well as in El Salvador, many a struggling
actor blesses broadcasting. No Little Theater movement, Broadway stage, or
film colony stands near to invite his dramatic development. But soap
operas and _novelas_, utilize his talent weekly. As an example of how the
_novela_ has become the actor's best friend, let me tell you a bit about
what I saw one August day in 1954. [etc.]
http://www.jstor.org/view/15490068/ap040017/04a00090/
-----

--Ben Zimmer