Query: why "salt and pepper" but not "pepper and salt"?

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri May 20 17:20:21 UTC 2005

Yes, of course.  Family trumps stress (or is the cause of it) and rhythm. But why?  If we have become a unit, i.e. 'salt and pepper', why not go with the stress and rhythm pattern that we are used to?  That seems inexplicable.
Fritz

>>> gcohen at UMR.EDU 05/19/05 05:26PM >>>
The differing order of the names in the message below is explainable by who belongs to which family.  Holly's family will put her first ("Holly 'n' Fritz"), while Fritz's family will put him first ("Fritz 'n' Holly").  I noticed this phenomenon long ago, when I realized that all my cousins who got married were referred to first within my family--very possibly without the speakers even being aware of this.
So, for example, "Sheldon and Leona" (Sheldon is my cousin).

Gerald Cohen