OT: Daniel Chester French's models (Columbia's Alma Mater, etc.)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 15 19:33:39 UTC 2005

This is off-topic, but I'm researching Daniel Chester French's models.
French's most famous work is Lincoln in Washington, D.C. His most popular model,
perhaps, was Audrey Munson (who I rediscovered).
Audrey Munson's long-lost film PURITY will be shown at the University of
California-Santa Barbara on November 20th, and I'm trying to bring it to NYC. On
Google Answers a few weeks ago, I was told that the model for Daniel Chester
French's Four Continents Group at NY's Bowling Green (Customs House), thought
to  be modeled by Audrey Munson, is Violet Blossom Conrad.
I'd like also to know the model for Daniel Chester French's "Alma Mater" at
Columbia University. I read somewhere (did I post it here?) that it was  posed
for by a Ziegfeld Follies star. I thought the newly digitized BARNARD
BULLETIN would have this info, but I can't find it.
I'm also curious about the model for Daniel Chester French's "The  Republic,"
the huge statue at Chicago's 1893 Columbian Exposition.
Artists' models were seldom recorded, but newspaper obituaries mention  these
things--and newspapers can now be searched. I recently discovered an  Audrey
Munson competitor named Jesseca Penn. "Dudie" Baird is another model who
posed for famous NYC sculptures (Diana on the old Madison Square Garden).
Sorry for the OT.