"X sucks" in White Panther manifesto (1968)

Mon Oct 17 22:03:37 UTC 2005

Further evidence of the prevalence of "X sucks" in countercultural circles
c.1968... From "White Panther State/meant", a manifesto by White Panther
leader John Sinclair published in Nov. 1968:

-----
http://www.signal66.com/music/lostindc/00_0324b.html
There's only two kinds of people on the planet: those who make up the
problem and those who make up the solution. WE ARE THE SOLUTION. We have
no problems. Everything is free for everybody. Money sucks. Leaders suck.
School sucks. The white honkie culture that has been handed to us on a
silver platter is meaningless to us! We don't want it!
Free the people from their "leaders" - leaders suck - all power to all the
people freedom means free everyone !
-----

The manifesto originally appeared in the anarchist publication _Fifth
Estate_ and can also be found in _BAMN (By Any Means Necessary): Outlaw
Manifestos and Ephemera 1965-1970_ (Penguin, 1971) and Sinclair's own
_Guitar Army: Street Writings/Prison Writings__ (Douglas, 1972).

--Ben Zimmer