"to homegrow" (NYT)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 18 02:44:57 UTC 2005

from Saturday's New York Times:

The New York Times
October 15, 2005 Saturday
A12
HEADLINE: Classes in Chinese Grow as the Language Rides a Wave of Popularity
BYLINE: By GRETCHEN RUETHLING

The shortage of teachers is common throughout the United States, said
Michael Levine, executive director of education at the Asia Society
in New York.

Six states have signed or plan to sign agreements with the Chinese
government to import teachers from China and send teachers from the
United States to China for training, Mr. Levine said.

''Eventually,'' he said, ''we're going to have to homegrow our own.''