"Strew" rhymes w/"sew" redux

Fri Sep 23 00:26:23 UTC 2005

Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>I say "strewn," young pup.

I think I do too. But my point was that the "strew"/"strewn" *paradigm* is
fading, so that even for speakers who still have "strewn", the root form
"strew" may already be lost. (Quick Googlecheck: 51,300 hits for "garbage
strewn", 679 for "strewing garbage", 250 for "strew garbage".) So as a
frozen form that has lost its paradigm, "strewn" is now subject to
reshaping. And since "thrown about" is semantically akin to "strewn
about", the blend of "strown about" would make sense to me. (Or maybe I've
spent too much time on the Eggcorn Database.)

--Ben Zimmer