lox (smoked salmon) from 1668??

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Aug 6 14:47:17 UTC 2006

At 8/6/2006 01:30 AM, Doug Wilson wrote:
>What does the extended context call for? Would one expect that "lox" refers
>to something with a foul odor along the lines of feces?
>
>Would one expect locks = wool to have a foul odor?

I haven't smelled the underside of a sheep in a long time.

(More seriously, though, I wonder what belly wool smells like after
shearing but before washing.  And some people say they don't eat lamp
because it has an unpleasant odor.  Perhaps some also are repelled by
the odor of the live animal.)

Joel

P.S.  As Wamba notes of Normans, I too am more familiar with the food
than with the livestock.

JB