lox (smoked salmon) from 1668??

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sun Aug 6 15:24:03 UTC 2006

>So the OED folks didn't know for sure what this "lox" was. Maybe "wool".
>Maybe something else. Could be"salmon", maybe.
>
>But what makes sense in the context? Assuming the "unwiped nocks" is
>correctly interpreted as "shitty butts" or so, it's not obvious to me that
>either wool or fish fits here. One wouldn't say "it smells like coffee, or
>garlic". So maybe the intended sense of "lox" is neither fish nor wool.
>
>What does the extended context call for? Would one expect that "lox" refers
>to something with a foul odor along the lines of feces?
>
>Would one expect locks = wool to have a foul odor?
>
>-- Doug Wilson
Certainly unwashed fleece can be pretty smelly; its "foulness" is a matter
of opinion, and probably depends on one's familiarity with barnyards.
 Feces can have a great range of smells,  arising from the diet of the
beast or person producing it.  It can be distinctly fishy-smelling and so,
by association, fish can be thought of as smelling shitty.
AM