[sic] of the day: earmarks

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 12 03:20:58 UTC 2006

So, convicts were once earmarked? I've always associated the term with
the notching of the ears of swine for purposes of identification.

-Wilson

On 8/11/06, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: [sic] of the day: earmarks
>
> Yes, me too, which I didn't say in my other posting.
>
> Joel
>
> At 8/11/2006 09:39 AM, you wrote:
> >Since the start of this thread I've noticed
> >"earmarks/hallmarks/markings of al-Qaeda" all used. "Earmarks" is
> >the term I'd probably use.
> >
> >Gerald Cohen

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass