[sic] of the day: earmarks

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Aug 12 03:59:48 UTC 2006

While I do not recall a source--secondary or primary--referring to
the process as "earmarking", cropping of ears (removal of part or
whole, or slitting) was a common criminal punishment in the 18th
century.  The first source I put my hands on is David Copeland's
_Colonial American Newspapers_, page 94.  Or Google for <ear cropping
punishment colonial>.  Or Wikipedia's article "Docking (animals)" but
look for "judicial physical punishment".

Joel