The not-so-slow death of truthiness?

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Aug 17 13:44:30 UTC 2006

You may be searching in the wrong place. Google Groups gives over 1800 hits
for "truthiness" over the last six months, including nearly 1500 where
"Colbert" doesn't appear in the same post.

Proquest Newspapers has some 200 hits for the same period, including 94 that
do not have "Colbert."

How fast does LexisNexis include recent publications? ProQuest has hits as
late as 14 August. If LexisNexis takes its time updating its database, that
may help explain the paucity of hits in recent months.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
RonButters at AOL.COM
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:26 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: The not-so-slow death of truthiness?

This caused me to think, "Whatever happened to truthiness?" A quick check of

LexisNexis Academinc shows 69 hits in the past six months, 3 in the last
month, and 0 in the past week. This makes it about as well used as LIMPID
and only
slightly ahead of OTIOSE and RECONDITE. Franklin Pierce is more popular.

At least ADS didn't vote it "most likely to succeed." Maybe "Most likely to
suck as a real word" would have been a better category?

-