eggcorn: slug through

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Sun Aug 20 04:31:40 UTC 2006

Maybe we've noted this one before, but it's not in the database.

"slug through" for "slog through" - the semantics of "slug" (e.g. exertion) would seem to motivate this as would the fact that 'slug' is more common/familiar than 'slog'.

some exx.
"I’ve slugged through the Amazonian mud ..."
http://www.brazilmax.com/brazilmax.cfm/id/4

"Though lots of books still resemble those heavy tomes we slugged through in college..."
http://www.ganssle.com/articles/abk-rvw.htm

"The Broncos and Steelers slugged through a defensive struggle,..."
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609&year=2003&month=10

This last one seems to blend the semantics of "slug" and "slog through"; it's easy to imagine a defensive football battle being described as a slugfest.

-Matt Gordon