condo cowboy

Mon Aug 21 03:16:04 UTC 2006

"Condo cowboy" appeared in a recent CBS Evening News piece on senior
citizens with AIDS.

-----
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/18/eveningnews/main1913646.shtml
"If the man can drive at night, he's got a harem," says Saunders.
"Probably couldn't get a date when he was 18 years old, and now he's
the belle of the ball. 'Condo Cowboys' we call 'em."
-----

That's a quote from HIV patient Sue Saunders, who is also quoted by
"20/20" in the 1998 cite below.

-----
1998 _20/20_ (ABC News) 9 Oct. (Factiva) "Safe Sex and Seniors" A lot
of men, and I call them "condo cowboys," have their harems and
especially if they can drive at night. If you can drive at night, you
are gold.
-----
2000 _The Record_ (Northern N.J.) 9 June H4 (Factiva) "How to Talk the
Talk in Seniors Circles" Condo cowboy. Single man, most often in his
50s or 60s, who frequently changes partners. "Jack imagines himself a
lothario, spreading his bounty among the women in the senior community
like a condo cowboy."
-----
2005 _Arkansas Democrat Gazette_ 19 June 48 (Factiva) "Lifelong
Health" Almost every week articles appear that discuss the epidemic of
sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in retirement communities, where
a single man can date a different woman every night of the week. They
are often referred to as "Condo Cowboys" who boast of different sexual
partners on a weekly basis.
-----
2006 _Evening News_ (CBS News) 18 Aug. (Factiva) Oh, he's in business,
probably couldn't get a date when he was 18 years old. And now, he's
the belle of the ball. Condo cowboys, we call them.
-----

--Ben Zimmer