condo cowboy

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 22 22:32:39 UTC 2006

Has "date," an old slang term for "pay a prostitute for sexual
intercourse," i.e., she asks a potentential client, "Do you want to
date with me?", by way of "John and Mary are dating," i.e. involved in
a relationship that includes sexual intercourse, finally made the leap
into the maimstream language as a euphemism for "engage in sexual
intercourse with"?

-Wilson

On 8/20/06, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      condo cowboy
>
> "Condo cowboy" appeared in a recent CBS Evening News piece on senior
> citizens with AIDS.

 2005 _Arkansas Democrat Gazette_ 19 June 48 (Factiva) "Lifelong
> Health" Almost every week, articles appear that discuss the epidemic of
> sexually-transmitted diseases (STDs) in retirement communities, where
> a single man can _date_ a different woman every night of the week. They
> are often referred to as "Condo Cowboys," who boast of different sexual
> partners on a weekly basis.
>

> --Ben Zimmer

There's only one thing that money can't buy and that's poverty.

--Jack Benny