" jazz"--( issue of early attestations)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Aug 26 01:05:23 UTC 2006

Dear Mrs. Stoltz and Dr. Karl Koenig (with a cc. to the American Dialect Society and SABR),
   The earliest mention of "jazz" in a San Francisco newspaper (San Francisco Bulletin) that I'm aware of is from March 3, 1913, p. 13/4: 'McCarl has been healded all along the line as a "busher", but now it develops that this dope is very much to the "jazz".'  Also, NYU librarian George Thompson, Jr. spotted several attestations of baseball "jazz" from April 2 and April 3, 1912 in the Los Angeles Times ("Ben's Jazz Curve"...'"I call it the Jazz ball because it wobbles and you simply can't do anything with it"'), although the significance of these 1912 attestations is still a matter of controversy.

    If Dr. Koenig or Professor Gushee has a "jazz" attestation which predates March 3, 1913 for any San Francisco newspaper, this would indeed be big news. (Btw, the 1909 "jazz" attestation in OED has been acknowledged as an error.)

Sincerely,
Gerald Cohen,
one of several researchers on the origin of the term "jazz"
P.S. I don't have the UMR article before me and no longer remember just what it says.

________________________________

From: Stoltz, Mary Helen
Sent: Fri 8/25/2006 2:58 PM
To: 'Karl Koenig'; 'PR-L at UMR.EDU'
Cc: Cohen, Gerald Leonard
Subject: RE: jazz

Dr. Koenig,
Thanks for contacting us about the jazz article.  It was based on the research of Gerald Cohen, an etymologist and professor of foreign languages here at UMR.  I will copy him on this reply, as I'm sure he'd be interested to hear about your research.

Good luck with your new book.

Mary Helen Stoltz
Manager, Public Relations
UMR Communications