"damned fool" / "precedures" and "bullets"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 29 22:31:13 UTC 2006

Certainly a "damn(ed) fool/ damfool" is worse than a plain fool, but the phrase seems to me not to be lexicalized to any degree. In othere words, one may have to be unusually reckless or unthinking to qualify as a "damned fool," but catastrophic results are not quite guaranteed. (A similar, though not quite parallel situation, is exhibited by "dumb ass" and "dumb-ass.")

  I have a friend who has said on more than one occasion, "There are fools, there are damn fools, and then there are goddamn fools!"

  Regarding "bullet," you're exactly right about its origin. I mentioned it because - like "precedure" - it didn't sound at all idiosyncratic.

  JL

"James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "James A. Landau"
Subject: Re: "precedures" and "bullets"

"bullets" are the dark round circles used to identify items of a list in a briefing paper or similar document, and hence by extension the items so identified are called "bullets". It's common usage. The speaker extended "bullets" a little to mean "highlights of an audio recording".

I notice the usage of "damned fool" below to mean simply "idiot, simpleton, etc." In my experience "damn fool" (I don't recall ever having seen it spelt "damned" but it's possible) has the different, highly specific meaning of "someone whose stupidity leads to, or potentially leads to, dangerous and perhaps lethal results". Does anyone else agree with me on this specialized meaning?

/precedures/ doesn't bother me because "procedures" is commonly pronounced /pr at cedures/ and it's easy to get the wrong substitution for the @. Also note that "precede" and "proceed", although they have different meanings, are both verbs of motion and easy to confuse or conflate.

- Jim Landau