"due to" and "general"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 30 22:58:57 UTC 2006

Now that I've given it more thought in the sobering light of day, what
I've done is to attempt to conflate "due to" with "due to the fact
that," due to the fact that it seemed to be a brilliant insight, at
the time. I've never seen or heard anything like "due to they are
nasty" before. Constructions like "due to the fact that they are
nasty," OTOH, are probably innate. I don't know that I've ever seen
any examples of it in print, but I probably incorporated "due to the
fact that" into the first sentence that I ever spoke.

-Wilson

On 8/30/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "due to" and "general"
>
> Wilson, are you sure they admonished you against constructions like,
>
>   1. "due to they are nasty" ?
>
>   The only "due to" prescription I ever heard of opposed things like,
>
>   2. "Game cancelled due to rain."
>
>   There's a difference in function here.  I don't recall ever seeing the "new" "due to" addressed.  For me, 2 is normal (as is the prescriptive "The cancellation is due to rain"), but 1 is nearly unimaginable.
>
>   JL
>

> Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

-Wilson
––