Heard on "Law & Order: CI"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 26 18:52:28 UTC 2006

I don't doubt it for a minute, though I can't prove it.

  Charlie does provide me, however, with an opportunity to place a vigorous, vaguely related quotation on record, although, incredibly, I can find no Googlits.

  The story begins waaay back in World War One when, according to memoirists, drill sergeants used the catch phrase, "When I say 'Eyes right !' I want to hear those eyeballs click !"

  Creative, _non_?  Now fast-forward to 2005 when Larry Heinemann recounted the following in  _Black Virgin Mountain_ (N.Y.: Doubleday), regarding to his army training at Fort Knox, Ky., in 1966 (p. 13) :

  "We would listen as the WAC sergeant major, a large, thick woman, walked to the front of her formation and said in a large, operatic alto voice with plenty of coloratura oomph, 'When I call attention, I want to hear four hundred pussies go _woof_.' "

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: Heard on "Law & Order: CI"

This is (probably) unrelated: In the documentary series "Girls Gone Wild" (I am told), the interviewees, having successfully elucidated their torsos, are then invited to disclose their "kitty cats." Is that a playful ad hoc variant of (and euphemism for) slang "pussy"--or maybe an anatomical synecdoche based on slang "kitty" in the sense of "young woman" (HDAS, kitty n.2)? Does this application of the phrase "kitty cat" have an existence outside the show?

--Charlie