"Kicking footballs"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 28 02:13:39 UTC 2006

It's news to me. But then, I had to ask the meaning of "close, but no
cigar" and that of "oyster" as a slang term, being the only one in the
group unfamiliar with them. Rather like the mirror-image of your
situation.

I've also been in your shoes, WRT the term, "fuck over [someone]." I
was the only one who was familiar with it, at the time: in the Army in
1960.

-Wilson

On 10/27/06, Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      "Kicking footballs"
>
> I've always considered the phrase "up your ass kicking footballs" (as in if=
>  you ask someone where the phone is, they might say "If it was up your ass =
> kicking footballs you'd know it/know where it is") to be fairly common. But=
>  imagine my horror when I look in The Google and only find two hits (one wi=
> th "kicking" and one with "kickin"). Am I wrong? Is this not a common phras=
> e? I've heard it quite a few times here in Wisconsin (mainly central WI), b=
> ut now I'm wondering if I haven't heard it from the same three people all m=
> y life. My world really isn't that small, is it?
> =20
> Scot L.
> Check the weather nationwide with MSN Search: Try it now!
> http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=3Dweather&FORM=3DWLMTAG=

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens