accusative cursing - stress

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Sat Apr 14 13:37:49 UTC 2007

>So in English
>there must be a propensity to think that stress comes after double
>consonant.

I'm afraid I'm much better at thinking by the "rules" than at
figuring out what the average misspelling user is thinking. Side
effect of making a living "fixing" other people's English, I guess.
But I should spend some time picking out patterns in misconstrual...
might be very interesting. Have you done a paper on it?

I'm not a proponent of simplified spelling systems either, though --
I prefer to take the organic route. I don't think anything imposed
from above systematically would ever succeed, and I'm not sure I'd
want it to! What with all the printed material in our weird current
system that would no longer be legible for the new generations, and
the fun we have with the quirks of the language, and the fact that it
pays my bills...

James Harbeck.