"Don't shit where you eat"

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Tue Jul 10 15:33:34 UTC 2007

Sorry, I disagree with you on this one, Wilson.  After 30 years of knowing
and teaching Muslims from many (not just Arab) countries, I would hesitate
to generalize about conversion tendencies (Christians _don't_ try to
convert?!), naming patterns, or anything else about them.  And "Turks
sometimes poke fun at Islam, they speak English very well - which is not to
imply that Arab Muslims don't -  and they party their asses off"?  _Some_
secular Turks, yes; but religious Muslim Turks (including good friends of
mine) are quite another matter.  I take no stand on the contentious Turkish
political situation (well, yes, I do, but that's another matter), but let's
be careful not to stereotype cultures--we know what happened in the West
when we did (and do) that.  A little personal experience takes us "beyond
the book," as you discovered yourself.