"muffin" and other base ball terms, 1859

Thu Mar 1 19:36:10 UTC 2007

        “A Muffin Player”  [signature to a letter regarding baseball]
        NY Herald, October 17, 1859, p. 2, col. 3
A "muffin" is an unskilled base ball player.  The OED (I.3b) has 1860.
This isn't much of an antedating, but one of the OED's citations
contains a phrase not given a separate entry, and which I can antedate:
"fly game".
        Mr. Davis also stated that the eleven desired the match to be a fly game.
        NY Herald, October 19, 1859, p. 7, col. 4
This means a game of base ball played by a rule whereby a batter is out
only if his batted ball is caught on the fly; New-York style baseball
then was played under a rule that the batter was out if his ball was
caught on the fly or on the first bounce.  There is also no entry in the
OED for "bound game".  A cricket "eleven" touring from England had been
challenged to play a game of base ball against a team of NYC all-stars.
OED: (under “muffin”) 1864 Brooklyn Daily Eagle 2 Sept. 3/5 Four clubs
all will vote for the fly game, for they all think the bound game only
suited for boys and muffins.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.