"spring forward, fall backward"

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Sun Mar 11 12:14:43 UTC 2007

On Sunday 03/11/07 12:00 AM (I am sure that that he did not cheat by going to Daylight Savings Time two hours early) Barry Popik wrote:

<q>I re-checked and haven't found anything before 1957 for
"spring forward, fall back." Walter WInchell gave credit to the Los
Angeles Examiner.</q>

I may have a lead on a year or two antedating.  I am pretty sure that I saw the phrase in "Jack and Jill" magazine, to which I had a subscription from 1954 until sometime in the late 1950's.  If memory serves, it was in the inside back cover in the column attributed to "Finny the Office Goldfish".

    - Jim Landau