Red Ass (from East Texas?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 29 05:37:58 UTC 2007

"Red ass" is not in DARE and not in the OED. HDAS?
Anybody from Texas use this term? It's said to be from East Texas.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/red_ass/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/red_ass/)

Red Ass

"Red ass” means to show great anger or passion. A Texas A&M Aggie who  goes
out of the way to show Aggie spirit is another definition of “red ass.”

_Urban  Dictionary_
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=red+ass&defid=1119732)
Red Ass
In Texas: one who is beyond being a bad  ass, one who will do whatever it
takes to get the job done and will shoot first  and ask questions later.
Don’t mess with Johnny, he’s red ass, you  know.
by Gil Jan 12, 2005

_Urban  Dictionary_
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=a+case+of+the+red+ass)
a case of the red ass
classic phrase to be heard  from the very very old people in the south,
generally.
to mean pissed off.  angry.
yo mawma sho got hahsayelf a cayas of da rayed ayss t’day.
your momma sure got herself a case of the red ass today.
by  rachelgirlwonder denver, co Sep 23, 2005

_Red Ass Apparel Co._ (http://www.redassapparel.com/isell/)
We Texans  are a proud bunch who are passionate about our great state and our
heritage.

Red Ass Apparel Co. was formed to complement the pride and passion we  have
for this place we love, our home… TEXAS!

The term “Red Ass” is one  used to express extreme passion, enthusiasm,
motivation, or even anger and rage.  “Red Ass” is a term which is as diverse as
the great state from which it  originates.
Here at Red Ass Apparel Co., we show our ass every day and we  hope you and
your folks will do the same. Enjoy your visit to this website and  please send
it along to those you think might be interested.

_Wikipedia:  Traditions of Texas A&M University_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditions_of_Texas_A&M_University)
Red-ass - A term for an Aggie  that goes out of their way to show their Aggie
spirit.

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0965842304&id=or_9f4D7NXEC&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&ots=k2Ln-bag5i&dq="red+ass"+texas&ie=ISO-8859-1&sig=oGzIL
FMUZztiSLpoIl7FLbKtNPU)
Mosca: A Factual Fiction
by Richard Miller
DFI  Books, Dada Foundation
1997
Pg. 79:
Thomas loved thrusting the song  into this military milieu where, to use a
Texas expression, it would give plenty  of Rebels the red ass.

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN1413427138&id=U_V2Mc6cvvwC&pg=PA250&lpg=PA250&ots=fmH1_JX4_h&dq="red+ass"+texas&ie=ISO-8859-1&sig=UzJ
Ot3ZPw--w5_qAUVnkH4e8D0w)
Brown Shoe Black Shoe:
Memories of Two Air Forces,  Two Wars and One Military Occupation
by Troy Thompson
Xlibris  Corporation
2004
Pg. 250:
RED ASS—Frequently “The RA’s”. A term used  by subordinates for a situation
where someone superior to them seems to be  especially irritated with them or
even with the world itself.

5 April  1981, Syracuse (NY) Herald Journal, pg. B1:
“As a player, I was a  red-ass. Well, let’s just say I had a temper. I was
intense,” said Humphreys, a  righthanded relief pitcher in his younger days,
who spent parts of nine years in  The Show.