Stoop in DARE

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 25 13:25:53 UTC 2007

>Is a "stoop" really a porch? In Saint Louis, a "stoop" is a short set
>of usually-limestone steps in the front or wooden steps in the rear
>leading to an entryway in the front or directly to a door in the rear.

Ditto for NYC, mutatis mutandis.  Our apartment houses (in Washington
Heights) had no porches--I only knew the word from summer rental
houses on Long Island--but we had stoops, made of concrete, against
which we played stoop ball (throw the spaldeen hard to hit the edge
of the stoop and fly into the air, where your opponent would catch it
on the fly for an out, on a bounce to hold you to a single, two
bounces for a double, etc.).  We actually played more stoop ball than
stick ball, although the latter is more celebrated.

LH