Rosa/rowz@

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 23 04:36:03 UTC 2008

The truespel dictionary is based on words as spoken in the American Heritage Talking Dictionary and m-w.com.  In order to get away from special symbols, I had to spell our all schwas.  This makes truespel a bit more accurate than other dictionary pronunciation guides for USA accent, as schwas stand for at least 4 sounds (See the spelling out of "international phonetic" in IPA notation at the IPA site.  In truespel it's ~internnashinool, which is much more accurate, or shall we say dialect specific.)

For "diphthong", the definition 1 from m-w.com is fine for me.
Main Entry: diph·thong
Pronunciation: \ˈdif-ˌthȯŋ, ˈdip-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English diptonge, from Middle French diptongue, from Late Latin dipthongus, from Greek diphthongos, from di- + phthongos voice, sound
Date: 15th century
1 : a gliding monosyllabic speech sound (as the vowel combination at the end of toy) that starts at or near the articulatory position for one vowel and moves to or toward the position of another
2 : digraph
3 : the ligature æ or œ

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.