Rosa/rowz@

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 23 05:02:03 UTC 2008

Who's calling who names now Randy.  Get real.  Did your mother teach you no dignity.

Do books talk, Randy?  The internet does talk.  I get my info over the internet.  In fact I'm the only one I know who has used his own voice over this forum to demonstrate what he's talking about.

Why don't you demonstrate to us how the long vowels are diphthongs by using your voice.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.

> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:37:38 +0800
> From: strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
> Subject: Re: Rosa/rowz@
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: LanDi Liu
> Subject: Re: Rosa/rowz@
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Tom Zurinskas  wrote:
>> What do you mean "Why would I say something like that? Why would you say "why would I
>> say something like that?"
>
> The way I saw it, someone was offering some help -- if you're really
> that interested in phonetics, why not take a class? You do have
> universities near you, right?
>
> I said "why would you say something like that?" because you were
> taking as offensive something that someone said, and saying something
> offensive in return. Honestly, didn't your mother ever tell you not
> to do that? Where's your dignity? Sometimes you act like a
> four-year-old. Some of the more patient people are trying to sift
> through all of that and address the linguistic ideas that you are
> putting forth, but it would be a lot easier if there was more wheat
> and less chaff.
>
>> I'm familiar enough with phonetics for my application. I'm not a linguist, but anybody can gather
>> much information from the internet on phonetics.
>
> Well, it really depends where you look. And in order to know what's
> good and what's bad, you have to already have some background. Some
> universities have their phonetics course materials online.
>>
>> People that reply to questions of interest with "go read a book" are in my opinion abusive,
>> supplying no anwer, offering nothing but derision.
>
> I don't see it that way. If one is going to challenge existing
> practices or perspectives in a field, one should be quite familiar
> with what those practices and perspectives are. If someone tells me
> to go read a book, I will do so with great enthusiasm.
>>
>> Do you believe that all long vowels in USA English are diphthongs?
>
> No, I don't. And I don't believe that there really are long vowels
> and short vowel in AmE either. As I understand it* we haven't really
> had long and short vowels in English for over 600 years, but these
> labels, "long" and "short", have been retained as the vowels they
> referred to changed. Out of the five "name sound" vowels (as I prefer
> to call them), [ei], [i], [ai], [ou], and [ju], I would say that [ei],
> [ai], and [ou] are diphthongs. [i] is not, and [ju] is not because
> [j] is a consonant sound. However, [u] is a usually a glide in
> English, but since the beginning and ending points of the glide both
> could be represented in a broad transcription as [u], I wouldn't
> consider it a diphthong, but more of a slightly moving monophthong.
> [u] is however a pure vowel when followed by [l].
>

> * I've never had the pleasure of taking a phonetics course, but I have
> read lots of books on phonetics, and continue to! I have on the other
> hand (and I'm a little embarrassed to say this here) taught phonetics
> [...]

Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series. Get in the game.
http://club.live.com/word_slugger.aspx?icid=word_slugger_wlhm_admod_april08