Chinglish

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Aug 28 21:10:04 UTC 2008

I looked at the spectrograms for the m-w files for 3 sets of triplets:

win-wing-ween
sin-sing-scene
kin-king-keen

Each triplet appears to be spoken by the same person, but I can't be sure.
I didn't bother taking formant measurements b/c at least one vowel in each
set lacked a steady state. Just eyeballing the formants, though, it's pretty
clear that the F1s of the <ing> items are closer to those of the /I/ items
(win, sin, kin) and the clear /i/ tokens (ween, scene, keen) have lower F1s
than the others.

With F2 there's more variability in the contour (due to consonantal context)
but it looks like the <ing> tokens generally have F2s that are in between
those for the other classes (at least on average).

So, the <ing> items appear to be produced at roughly the same height as
(other) /I/ words but are slightly fronter than /I/ words. Still, they're
clearly not as front as /i/ words. And, of course, this is just going off of
the couple of speakers recorded by m-w.

Anyway, it seems to me that the real question here isn't whether the vowel
of wing, sing, king, etc. is PHONETICALLY identical to that of win, sin, kin
or to that of ween, scene, keen. It obviously isn't phonetically identical
to either. The only interesting question (for me, and even I'm rapidly
losing interest) is whether the <ing> vowel is PHONEMICALLY part of the /I/
class or the /i/ class. Historically there's no question, right? These are
short i's and that class gives us /I/. Still, if we take seriously
native-speaker intuitions, doesn't the fact that many people identify the
pre-velar nasal vowel as the same as other clear cases of /i/ argue that the
allophone has been reallocated to /i/?