Jagwire

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 10 15:19:52 UTC 2008

At 5:58 AM -0800 1/10/08, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Britons usually say "Jag-u-ar."  They also say "Antig-u-a" and "Nicarag-u-a."
>
>   The "Jag-u-ar" pronouncer in a TV commercial aimed at Americans
>was undoubtedly hired to enhance the car's snob appeal.

That's been my guess, and yes, the commercial is still running.

>   Old saying: "Everything sounds snootier with an English accent."
>
>   Well, some English accents.

Illustrating the last point is the Geico gekko, whose decidedly
unsnooty Estuary English (not cockney, but far from RP) is intended
to impress us with the sense that he's a regular guy.  Or as much of
a regular guy as a gecko can get.

LH