Roasteria

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 14 13:56:04 UTC 2008

Then there's also the generalized -(t)eria suffix that used to be
much more productive than it is now.  Southern California in the 60s
was filled with launderterias, gaseterias, and the like.  There was a
least one paper exploring these formations in American Speech, and
"cafeteria" was usually taken to be the model.  In principle
"roasteria" could be a blend of "roaster" with "-(t)eria", but the
register or level would be wrong, in that the -(t)eria formations
emphasized cheapness, ease, and uniformity (a bit like current "Mc-",
but without the trademark battles), while roasterias are presumably
not striving for that image.

LH