Subjunctive(?): not critical that

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Mar 23 23:46:09 UTC 2008

I'm with Mark on this.  And would say that the first -- "She insists
that he not take his medicine" -- is a subjunctive because the
speaker is asserting the distinct possibility, even the probability,
of the present situation being the contrary -- that is, he *is*
taking his medicine presently (and she wants him not to).

Joel