antedating (?) of "hep" 1907 (Hip and hep)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 6 19:09:19 UTC 2008

"The Amboy Dukes"?! I saw that movie, too! I found it bleeping
riveting! It changed my entire perception of the Greater New York City
Metropolitan Area and made me satisfied with just seeing pictures of
the Empire State Building.

Of course, today's street gangs would die laughing at zip guns, clubs,
and bicycle chains.

-Wilson

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 6:58 AM, Paul <paulzjoh at mtnhome.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Paul <paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM>
> Subject:      Re: antedating (?) of "hep" 1907 (Hip and hep)
>
> paul johnson wrote:
> That's the shoe!  First made popular to me by "The Amboy Dukes" by
> Irving Shulman. (Boy I thought they were hep)
>  Good looking and made for street fighting.
> To be honest, anything south of Joliet was Terra Incognito to us back
> then, then i met this girl and......
> Wilson Gray wrote:
>> "Brogans"? What style of shoe was that? 'Cause, as it says on Bo
>> Diddley's jam, _Hey, Man_, "Them ain't no shoes. Them brogans!"
>> [brog&nz] or _bro-gans_, by which was meant "workshoes."
>>
>> There was a kind of big, heavy, but cool dress-shoe - usually wingtips
>> with outside welt and double-stitched soles noticeably wider than the
>> shoes' uppers - called "floats," originally a nickname for
>> Florsheim's, popular in Saint Louis, Missouri. (Back in the day,
>> Chicagoans would ask you where you were from. If you answered merely
>> "Saint Louis," Chicagoans would then ask, "Illinois or Missouri?",
>> though they knew damned well that it's *East*..., known merely as
>> "East Side" to Saint Louisans, that's in Illinois. They just liked to
>> mess with us hix from the stix. From the POV of black Louietowners,
>> Chicago was "The City.") These were worn with the Mister B collar and
>> the one-button roll.
>>
>> Anyway, does that sound like what you mean by "brogans"?
>>
>> -Wilson
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Paul <paulzjoh at mtnhome.com> wrote:

-----
-Mark Twain