All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 13 10:19:11 UTC 2009

I can't show that finger ~feenger and singer ~seenger don't rhyme in truespel notation.  I would actually say they do rhyme close enough.  Why don't they rhyme?

In m-w.com I listen to "singer" and the "g" is suppressed

Main Entry: 1sing·er
Pronunciation: \ˈsiŋ-ər\

I listen to "finger" and the "g" is not suppressed

Main Entry: 1fin·ger
Pronunciation: \ˈfiŋ-gər\

If I reverse the "g" suppression would any words be misunderstood?  I think not.  Would "singer" be mispronounced if the "g" were not suppressed?  I think not.  Is this a big deal?  I think not.  Would an English teacher need to say for a list of all "inger" words that "singer" is different?  Why bother?  And for other affixes like "ing" does not the "g" then get pronounced as in "singin' in the rain"?

finger
linger
dinger
singer
winger
stinger

Do these rhyme?

Perhaps "singer" with the "s" said so far forward in the mouth, the tongue doesn't care to go so far back for that "g" so it elides it a bit.  It allophonics.

see truespel.com

http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Faster_022009