All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 13 10:36:28 UTC 2009

"Son/sun" have the same vowel as "sung" ~sun/~sung as I hear in m-w.com

Main Entry: 1sun
Pronunciation: \ˈsən\

sung  \ˈsəŋ

Using schwa here by m-w.com is not good.  Schwa can stand for many sounds in words.  This should be a definite short u "uh", which in truespel is ~u.  The ending g in sung shows that the "n" will be velar.  The g is suppressed often but pops up if said in a sentence like (as sung in a song) especially before a word starting with a vowel.

see truespel.com

http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_howitworks_022009