Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 22 03:42:40 UTC 2009

What sound was that again?  Sample word?

see truespel.com

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"
>
> At 4:03 PM -0500 2/21/09, Paul Johnston wrote:
>>Sorry about this--I'm trying to represent the low back rounded vowel
>>here.
>
> Ah, my bad. What I thought was a capital D was actually a
> steroid-infused upside-down script a (that last character should be
> viewed in a font like Comic Sans).
>
> LH
>

>>Paul Johnston
>>On Feb 21, 2009, at 3:48 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>
>>>---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>>-----------------------
>>>Sender: American Dialect Society
>>>Poster: Laurence Horn
>>>Subject: Re: Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"
>>>---------

>>>Can you remind me (and maybe us) of what /D/ is in the system you're
>>>assuming? In the version of ASCII IPA I use, it's the initial
>>>consonant of "this", which it clearly isn't in this context.
>>>
>>>LH

Windows Live™ Hotmail®…more than just e-mail.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_022009